The Junior League of Central Westchester has a rich and long history of serving as an effective force for positive change in the Central Westchester community. As part of a larger organization of almost 300 chapters globally, the Junior League has evolved into one of the oldest, largest, and most effective women’s volunteer organizations in the world.
1901Junior League History
In 1901, Mary Harriman, a 19-year-old New York City debutante with a social conscience, formed the Junior League for the Promotion of Settlement Movements. Harriman mobilized a group of 80 other young women, hence the name “Junior” League, to work to improve child health, nutrition, and literacy among immigrants living on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
Inspired by her friend Mary, Eleanor Roosevelt joined the Junior League of the City of New York in 1903, teaching calisthenics and dancing to young girls at the College Settlement House.
The second Junior League was formed in Boston, MA in 1907 and was soon followed by the founding of the Brooklyn, NY Junior League in 1910. In 1912, The Junior League of Montreal became the first League in Canada. The rest is history.
1921Our Chapter’s History
In 1921, the Scarsdale Unit of New York Junior League was formed and it established a branch of the Speedwell Society to give medical care and provide foster homes for convalescent children from New York City hospitals.
In 1930, the Scarsdale Junior Service League was formed. During the 1930s, volunteers provided for the White Plains Hospital Clinic, Grasslands, and Welfare Department. The Woman’s Exchange was also established.
In 1941, members of the Scarsdale Service League were invited to join the Scarsdale Unit of New York Junior League.
In 1947, the Junior League of Scarsdale was officially incorporated.
In 1984, we became The Junior League of Central Westchester (JLCW) in order to expand our reach to the surrounding areas of Greenburgh, Eastchester and White Plains.
Junior League of Central Westchester Celebrated its 70th anniversary.